Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Digital Media Lecture Reaction

This morning, I sat in the first two lectures of my university career. The first focused on audio production while the latter, which I will be discussing, was centered around digital media. Before this morning, my understanding of the term "digital media" was related to the online or digital world. In my mind, examples of digital media included internet-based news services, blogs, and electronic devices such as smartphones.

However, having absorbed today's lecture, my definition of the term has shifted slightly. Now, I understand that digital media is broader than I had assumed, and can include things like animation and motion graphics. I didn't think as much about the technology behind digital media before today, so it's safe to say my mind has been enriched.

Being a first-year student in Radio and Television Arts, I can see that digital media is of extreme importance and relevance to the program - which would explain why it is a compulsory course. Content that was formerly exclusive to radio and/or television is now obtainable digitally - whether by legal means or not - so these industries have had to shift in order to combat this change and remain profitable. In turn, the industries themselves have become more digitally-based, which is why a class about digital media is so vital to RTA students like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment